My name is Kate Thompson and I write fun-tastic stories for children and their grown-ups to enjoy.
My debut picture book, Superheroes Don’t Get Scared, has been illustrated by the fabulously talented Clare Elsom, and will be published by Upside Down Books in September 2020.
But how did I get here?
I spent most of my childhood with my nose in books, immersed in literary adventures. From an early age, I wrote and illustrated my own picture books, and was determined to become a children’s author (while doing some Nancy Drew-esque sleuthing work on the side).
However, instead I became a solicitor, which contained disappointingly little sleuthing and a distinct lack of storytelling.
Happily, following the birth of my sons, I rediscovered my passion for picture books and writing.
I now live by the sea and spend my days gleefully immersed in literary adventures of my own making. And who knows, maybe one day I will find a perplexing mystery that needs solving!
I was awarded second place in the 2018 Writing Magazine Picture Book Prize and am an active member of SCBWI.
Ten Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me
- I am deaf in my right ear.
- I am a little scared of crabs. Not ideal when you live by the sea!
- As a child my hair was so long that I could sit on it.
- I love painting murals. Just give me a blank wall and some paint and I'll be happy for days!
- I won a National Art Competition when I was 10 years old.
- I won a slogan competition run by LeCrunch Apples when I was 16 years old. The prize was a family holiday to Lapland. The slogan was, ‘I’d share my favourite LeCrunch Apple with Rudolph because… Just a munch of LeCrunch gives a glow from head to toes, not just the nose!’
- I have very big feet – it’s my secret superpower to help me swim faster!
- I turn the brightest shade of red when I am nervous.
- I hate dancing at proper parties, but love having silly dance parties at home. My kids and I put on silly dance clothes and boogie away. I’m the queen of mum dancing!
- I always do something clumsy on my birthday. Birthday mishaps have included: slipping over in sheep poo, crashing my bike into brambles, and setting my hair on fire while blowing out my candles!