Don’t forget your night-vision specs if you bake these DARK cave chocolate cupcakes!
You Will Need:
For the cakes:
25g cocoa powder
50g unsalted butter, chopped up.
100g caster sugar
1 medium egg
85g plain flour
1 teaspoon (tsp) baking powder
1 large mixing-bowl
1 small bowl or mug
1 wooden spoon
1 cupcake baking tray
Small measuring jug
For the icing and decorations
30g softened unsalted butter
15g cocoa powder
1 tbsp milk
125g icing sugar
(Optional) black gel food colouring
(Optional) white and black fondant icing OR white chocolate buttons and chocolate chips OR mini marshmallow OR whatever you fancy!
1 large bowl
1 fork/spoon/electric whisk
You will also need 1 grown-up assistant baker!
What To Do:
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Ask your grown-up to preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Ask your grown-up to measure out 100ml boiling water. DON’T touch it – it will be SUPER hot! Use your SUPER sight to tell your grown-up when it reaches 100ml.
- Put 25g cocoa powder in a mug or small bowl.
- Ask your grown-up to pour the water over the cocoa powder. Carefully mix it until it is smooth, then leave it to cool down.
- Put butter and sugar into the big bowl. Mix them until your mixture is pale and fluffy. You can either use your SUPER strength, or ask your grown-up to help you with an electric whisk.
- Crack your egg into a separate mug/bowl. Pick out any bits of shell!
- Mix your egg into your sugar and butter.
- Mix in your flour and baking powder. SUPER strength to the rescue!
- Pour in your runny cocoa powder and mix it until it is all the same yummy chocolatey colour.
- Put your cupcake cases in your cupcake baking tray and half-fill each case with your mixture. Remember the mixture will grow bigger!
- Ask your grown-up to put the cakes in the oven, and bake them for around 17 - 20 minutes.
- Ask your grown-up to take the cakes out of the oven, and to carefully take the cupcakes out of the tray to cool. DON’T touch it yourself - it will all be SUPER hot!
Decorating your cakes
- Put your softened butter in a big bowl.
- Use your sieve to sprinkle the 15g cocoa powder onto your butter, mix it up. You will need SUPER strength for this (or a grown-up can help with an electric whisk!)
- Use your sieve to add your icing sugar a little bit at a time. Don’t add too much at once as it will all POOF up into the air when you mix it!
- Mix it all together until it makes a chocolatey spreadable icing. If it is too thick, you can mix in a little bit of milk until it is the right thickness.
- If you want your icing to be even darker, you can add a few drops of black food colouring and mix until it’s all the same colour. It will turn a dark brown.
- Pipe or spread your icing over your cooled cakes.
- If you want, you can decorate with spooky eyes made using white and black fondant icing, or white chocolate buttons, mini marshmallows, or whatever else you can think of! Use your SUPER imagination!
- Eat and enjoy!